- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 24 oz frozen pitted cherries, thawed
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Shaved chocolate, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in cocoa powder.
- Once melted, stir in boiling water and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, 1 cup of the white sugar, the brown sugar, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs.
- Pour chocolate into dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- While cake bakes, combine the cherries and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Once sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Spoon cherry mixture over cooked cake (you don’t need to use all of the syrup).
- Let cool to room temperature.
- While cake and cherries cool, make frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing on low in between additions.
- Add cream and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Dollop frosting over cherries and spread out.
- Top with chocolate shavings, chill for 20 minutes before slicing.