Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons ground almonds
- 3 1/2-4 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer…
- Add chocolate, almonds, sugar, cinnamon stick, vanilla, nutmeg and cayenne, and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick and remove from heat.
- Place a whisk straight down in the center of saucepan and hold the handle of it between your palms.
- Vigorously rub the handle of the whisk between your palms so the whisk aerates the hot chocolate.
- Beat until a thick, foamy layer forms on top.
- Transfer to mugs and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Pati’s Mexican Table