This Chicken & Brown Rice Soup is wonderful for when you need a boost to your immune system. More immune boosting ingredients you can add to this recipe are red bell peppers, artichokes, and spinach.
Ingredients To Gather
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups water
1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 small chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 bay leaf
1 bunch kale or collard greens, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
Directions To Follow
- Simmer ½ cup broth in a large pot.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add remaining 7 1/2 cups broth, water, rice, chicken, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 35 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf, stir in kale, and cook until kale is wilted and tender.
Not only is this soup rich in antioxidants, but it is also rich in flavor. It’s also a filling soup that will leave you feeling satisfied for a few hours, unlike other soups that are more liquid based. So, the next time it’s winter and cold&flu season you’ll have a hearty soup that you’ll know just how to make.
Article Source: Whole Foods Market