The microwave is, quite possibly, the most amazing invention to ever be thought up when it comes to the kitchen.
However, there are some hard-and-fast rules as to what you should and should never put in your microwave.
If not used exactly as the manufacturer instructs, the microwave can become dangerous. Fires can start. Explosions can even occur.
Some of these 10 things to never put in a microwave may surprise you. But once you read through the list you won’t have to worry about your safety. Prepare food in minutes as often as you need to without fretting!
Have you ever been shocked to see sparks coming from your microwave? It’s a very scary experience. Make sure that never happens again, and always check for “microwave-safe” on all dishware!
Did we forget anything from our list?
Please SHARE this important safety information with your family and friends on Facebook.
Thumbnail Source: Flickr / Quinn Dombrowski
1. Whole Eggs
While you can cook scrambled eggs in the microwave if you’re in a huge hurry, you don’t want to put a whole egg into a microwave.
According to incredibleegg.org, it will heat up too fast, and the steam building up inside of the egg will not be able to escape through the pores quickly enough. This will cause the shell to explode and make a big old mess in your microwave.
2. Plastic Storage Containers Not Labeled For Microwave Use
Some plastic containers are made specifically for microwave use and are labeled as such.
However, if you use just any old plastic container in the microwave, you risk chemicals from the plastic making their way into your food, according to Harvard Medical School.
If you only put a little bit of a substance in a microwave, the amount of energy and electricity that goes into that small mass can be too much. If you’re not careful with grapes, specifically, you can end up with a little explosion powerful enough to ruin your microwave, according to the Department of Physics at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
4. Plates With Metallic Trim
We all know that putting metal in the microwave is a big “no.” It can start a fire or cause an explosion. It can be easy to mindlessly put a plate or mug with metallic trim into the trusty microwave without even realizing it.