When I want comfort food, I usually make this. There are so many things about this recipe that take me back to my childhood. I hope it becomes a favorite recipe of yours too. Enjoy!
Cook time: 40 Min Prep time: 45 Min
1/4 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c butter or margarine
1/2 c flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 c chicken broth
10 oz package frozen peas
4 c cubed, cooked chicken
2 c bisquick
2 tsp dried basil
2/3 c milk
1. In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender.
2. Add flour, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and broth; bring to a boil.
3. Cook and stir for 1 minute; reduce heat.
4. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in chicken.
6. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
7. For the dumplings, combine Bisquick and basil in a bowl.
8. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened.
9. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto casserole (12 dumplings).
10. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
11. Cover and bake 10 minutes more or until dumplings are done.